Sometimes, choosing a wardrobe for the family seems overwhelming. There are a million options and it can be hard to coordinate without looking too matchy-matchy. Here are a few of tips to help your family look like a million bucks!
- Start with one favorite piece of clothing and work from there (look for something that's unique)
- Choose one, two or three basic colors, then vary with shades and patterns
- Choose clothing that looks tailored and thoughtful (pleats, buttons, ruffles, etc.)
- Dont put anyone in the same shirt or outfit- different outfits add visual interest to the photo
- Layer, layer, layer! This is the #1 secret to having magazine-worthy family photos
- Accessorize with hats, leg warmers, scarves and belts
Notice her beautiful orange jacket with pleats
For a larger family, doing one color really simplifies the photo and makes it feel classy
I love the dressed-up-with-jeans look
Notice all the layers in these two photos! The vests are so adorable on the boys.
Her boots are great, along with the brown tights
Love the addition of the brown velvet blazer and dress for texture.
When trying to choose colors, think of the color wheel. Any colors across
from each other will generally look good together.
If all else fails, find a family photo that you love and copy it to the T!
Now for where to get your clothing... Most of us don't (or choose not to) shop at the pricey name-brand stores. If you would like a tailored look without the expense, try shopping at H&M, Forever 21, or my new favorite online store, Nextdirect.com. They are a UK-based company (I think) and are the perfect balance between great style and affordable prices. I am in no way being compensated for promoting their store- I just love the clothing :)
Good luck! Here's to beautiful family photos.
All photos by Rebekah Westover Photography